Misc. & Links
The policy for this zone is divided into three sections, Vangels duties and policies, duties and rules of mods and finally zone rules, policies and the accompanying explanations. Keep in mind that this policy is NOT retroactive, it only effects what is currently happening in the zone, not the past. This page is accurate to date, but subject to change at any time.
Vangels are the operators of the zone. Their purpose is to maintain the playing environment (including settings, cheats, etc.), coordinate special events (ie: Master of Chaos), keep the population informed and involved through weekly meetings and webpage, as well as enforce the zone policy.
Moderators in chaos expert represent many squads, skill ranges, and parts of the globe. Some are known, some are not. Their sole duty is to be on the watch for cheats, and to do what they can to stop them. These mods will not step outside this one goal, or risk losing their position.
This section is aimed at particular issues that effect the zone, the current policy for those issues, and an explanation for the policy. Keep in mind, any of these policy's can be changed if a large majority of the population requests it. A common factor regarding bug abuse: first time offenders will earn themselves a temporary ban; repeat offenders will recieve lengthy or even permanent bans.
- Fast-Bombing: Fast-bombing is using a bug in the software to fire bombs at a substantially increased firing rate. This is currently classified as a cheat in this zone, and will only result in a temporary ban from the zone, unless you are repeatedly caught abusing this bug. It is classified as a cheat at the behest of a large majority of the population. Some folks have claimed this is not a cheat, just using the software that is there, this is partly correct, it is using the software that is there, but in a fashion unintended by the game programmers or anyone else involved, to gain an advantage. People that wish for fast bombing say its not bad, because it still drains your energy at a substantial rate. This is partly correct, and would be true of a dueling zone, however with chaos' frequent super power greens, lining up a huge string of bombs is an easy and obvious advantage to gain.
- Lag-Turreting: Lag Turreting is another bug, which involves a turret that is not linked... this sounds confusing, and it is... all the ships "attached" to the turret, function like a turret, and on the drivers screen, it appears as normal turret. On opponents screen, it appears as a linked, moving swarm. This is quite a shock for the opponent, both for the lack of clarity as to which ship is the target, as well as pure shock value. This will earn a temporary ban to all participants, repeat offenses will earn a more permanent ban.
- Synch Turreting: Synch turreting is done through a linking of several computers, and forming a turret, such that one person controls all ships on a turret. Proponents of synch turreting argue that it isn't cheating because the user must have several computers, with several copies of subspace, and each ship has its own independent energy levels, and that it has no advantages over a standard turret. Opponents argue that the advantages over a standard turret are blatantly obvious: it IS an advantage over a standard turret, largely due to the communication issue. A standard turret must be in good coordination, through typing, macros, and guessing ahead as to what your teammates will do. A synch turret has none of these problems, no communication errors, no teamwork screw-ups... the synch turret is always well coordinated and functioning, simply because the lone pilot makes all the decisions. Also, synch turrets have a nasty habit of focusing their firepower, to deadly effect, something standard turrets have trouble doing, due in large part to lack of communication or guess wrong as to what your teammates will do. To this date the opponents have an incredibly overwhelming majority of the proponents to synch turreting. Synch turret will earn a nasty session with a mod, a temporary ban, and if caught again, more lengthy and permanent bans.
- Subspace Twister and other "hacks": Subspace Twister will be dealt with a zero-tolerance policy. Players caught using this cheat program will be banned from the zone permanently. We now can ban by more than machine ID - so be aware. Modification of the subspace code is against the user license that you must agree to to play the game, as is use of any altered code. In addition, you may not use any shell/external programs that give you an unfair advantage over players not using these programs.
- Other: Anything that is construed as cheating will be dealt with accordingly. Using new external programs, alterations of the game code, bug exploitation, "cheat code" use, or any other method of giving a player an additional advantage over other players will not be tolerated. You are to only use the twiddling of your fingers and the strategic thinking of your brain to get you by in subspace. If you have to ask if its legal to do... it isn't. Users in this category will be kicked and/or eventually banned, no questions asked. Cheating in any form will not be tolerated.